As I’ve said many times before (but probably no one remembers or cares), I LOVE The Hungry City Chronicles. I read all four books last winter and it’s become one of my absolute favorites! You can read my overview post here.
I came across the full length official trailer this morning and ASDFGHJJKL I AM DECEASED!!!!
FIRST OF ALL, IT GAVE ME CHILLS.
SECOND OF ALL, IT WAS GLORIOUS.
AND LASTLY, I’M IN LOVE WITH THE WOMAN WHO PLAYS ANA FANG.
Let’s break it down, shall we? So I can scream about each second individually.
Okay, okay, I’ll be calm about this…. Nah.
I CAN’T EVEN WITH HOW PERFECT EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER LOOKS? THE CAST IS SO WELL-CHOSEN I GOT GOOSEBUMPS ALL OVER!
They are exactly as they should be! Especially the woman who plays Ana Fang? I MEAAANNNNNN… WHO IS THAT, WOMAN AND WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CHOOSING HER? I’d like to kiss both. K Thanks.
Look at her! My God, I will cry! That IS Ana Fang! I LOVE HER!!!
Also, Tom looks amazing! The actor is legit perfect.
Valentine, Katherine and Hester are the other significant characters and they all appear and they all look cool. I didn’t catch Shrike so his absence is most definitely intentional.
I guess it’s time to address the elephant in the room. Everybody looks fantastic in their roles, even Hester, who is my favorite of them all. Er, but the thing is… That’s not what she’s ‘supposed’ to look like…
Scores and scores of people are going to be pissed about this, I haven’t checked reactions, and I’m not exactly thrilled with this either. That was always a possibility though so I can’t say I’m surprised. What this does is intentionally put more focus on the bedazzling effects than the personal development and relationship part of the books.
Maybe they’ll address this later if the franchise is able to expand, but basically, Hester’s ugliness (“scarred from forehead to jaw, nose a smashed stump, a single eye glaring“ she’s Chucky from Child’s Play essentially) causes her constant pain and she’s on the receiving end of a whole lot of shit she doesn’t deserve because of her looks. Even people whom she loves dearly and are ‘supposed’ to love her back can’t stand how hideous her face is.
Awkward… Whomever made this must have steam coming out of their ears, I imagine.
Yeeaaaaaaaaaah, so the film obviously did not go there. Like it didn’t even make an effort. It was quite obvious from the first teaser because both of Hester’s eyes were quite intact but I had hoped that it wouldn’t be as un-gory as this:
This one is the most accurate because Hester’s face is permanently disfigured into a sneer:
- So we start off with London moving in for the kill. It’s a small mining town which Hester Shaw is aboard and they’re about to be gobbled up.
- Multiple shots of London, breath-taking by the way, the CGI in this movie is really gonna be something and I CA’T WAIT. So London from different angles while the audience is given a brief piece of history: the 60-minute war that lead to Municipal Darwinism.
- We see Tom Natsworthy with Katherine Valentine in the London Museum, in the Guild of Historians. I don’t know why he’s so shocked, though, he’s an apprentice there. Also, totally digging this guy FYI.
- More London, look at the mess these Traction cities make!
- Ah, Thaddeus Valentine! Handsome Head Historian and renowned archaeologist, but devious.
- The unfortunate mining town being enveloped in London’s enormous “Gut”.
- Oh that looks quite nice. Good old propaganda. This hints the Tractionist and Anti-tractionist conflicts to come.
- We get the whole scene with Hester’s assassination attempt, Tom’s intervention and both of them being thrown in and out of the Gut. Which was AWESOME and went EXACTLY like I imagined!!!
- This is Valentine working with the Artificers’ Guild (I think that was what they were called? Yikes I can’t remember!) on Shrike.
- The tracks! It’s sometimes hard for me to imagine the scale of such things when I’m reading them so this is VERY COOL!
- The Jenny Haniver!!!!!!
- At this point the music gets really good.
- Behold the physical manifestation of badass! THIS SEQUENCE GAVE ME CHILLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Ana, Hester and Tom aboard the Jenny Haniver! Yasss.
- I had to squint a little but that’s the flying city of Airhaven!
- I have an idea who that dude in the middle is, but I don’t recall his name. He was Ana’s friend, obvs and he’s in the next one or two books as well I think.
- And that has to be the Old Tech MEDUSA.
- Valentine’s strong belief that Old Tech must be controlled and used for power.
- Another insane shot!
- That would be the MEDUSA firing up after which shit hits the fan (in the book).
- I spy Bevis Pod! That has to be him and he is supposed to be bald!
- Crying emoji. CRYING EMOJI. So badasssssss.
- Yup, shit hitting the fan, Airhaven going down, HESTER HUGGING TOM. God, that brings up sad memories. I love Hester so much.
- That is probably in Batmunkh Gompa where the gang battles it out.
- “You sure you wanna do this?” Um, yeah, Ana. I’m pretty sure.
This trailer brought up so many feels. SO MANY FEELS. It was a solid 10/10. Ana Fang alone is enough to sold anyone and everyone. SHE IS MAGNIFICENT.
I wish with all my heart and soul that it’s a success and that they do more films and give this underrated gem of a series the recognition and love it deserves.